Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The "W-R-I-T-I-N-G" Process

I wanted to start--like many of you I'm sure--the new year off with a bang. So, I launched into my in process editing for my second novel.

Writing novels is the most bizarre process. It's this weird cocktail of emotions that contradict each other. You're confident/insecure, defeatist/hopeful, ready/hesitant. Yet, we'll all write, edit, revise and then rinse any repeat. There's just something seductive about creating anything, being anything, that keeps us coming back for more.

I'm not going to dispute that this is how I feel 100% of the time--complicated. So now, instead of fighting how I feel. I'm going to share with you my little anogram break down for my/your? writing process.

W-orrying about hypothetical everything(s).
R-evising perpetually until your allow your piece to be read.
I-nventing reasons why your work is inadequate.
T-hinking about what you've already thought about and
I-maging up new stuff (stories, plots, characters, problems) before you've finished old stuff.
N-ever giving up (permanently).
G-lad to be finished but grateful that you can (and will) start the process all over again.

Just remember if you're feeling overwhelmed there's another writer out there also banging their head against a wall. ;) Don't give up, get tough!

Happy Writing in 2014! I'm ready for Nanowrimo (again) ALREADY.

Best,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment